Millions of Americans experience some degree of sunburn each year, and most people will suffer from sunburn at some point in their lives. There are many home remedies for treating sunburned skin, and you’ll find drugstore shelves stocked with products designed to treat sunburned, peeling skin.
Before you rush out to your nearest pharmacy and spend money on a “remedy” that doesn’t really work and before you whip up some home concoction that may make your skin even worse, please read on and see what suggestions we have for removing sunburned, peeling skin. Because your skin is your largest organ, it requires tender, loving care, so let the skin experts at ReDerm™ MD Medical Spa help you get relief when your skin is sunburned and peeling.
Your first instinct will be to quickly peel off any and all sunburned, peeling skin, but you must refrain from doing this because haphazardly removing peeling, sunburned skin could result in even more irritation, and even infection and scarring. Follow these steps if you’re going to remove peeling skin at home.
- Take a lukewarm bath. Hot water will further irritate the skin, but lukewarm water will soothe sunburned skin and loosen the peeling skin making it much easier to remove. You can take a lukewarm bath to remove peeling skin once or twice a day.
- Use either a soft washcloth or a disposable cleansing cloth to very gently wipe the peeling skin. By doing this carefully and gently, you will remove the peeling skin and leave the skin underneath unharmed.
- Pat yourself dry with a soft towel after the bath; avoid harsh towels and clothing while you’re healing from sunburn.
- Cut any hanging pieces of skin with scissors; do not simply pull the skin off as this could cause scarring and infection.
- Apply antibiotic cream or ointment to the edges of your skin.
- Apply a moisturizing cream or lotion with aloe vera to the affected areas. This will help restore strength and flexibility back to your skin and speed up the healing process.
If you have any questions regarding how to treat blistered, sunburned, peeling skin, please contact the skin care experts at ReDerm MD Medical Spa today. If you need a medical spa in Denver that provides skin care services at reasonable rates, you have found it in ReDerm MD Medical Spa.